The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
Get help with my taxes?
- Child Tax Credit
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Federal Earned Income Tax Credit
- Connecticut Earned Income Tax Credit
- Property Tax Credit For Elderly/Disabled
- Property Tax Exemptions For Blind or Totally Disabled Persons
- Property Tax Exemptions for Veterans
- Rapid Tax Refunds
- Low Income Housing Tax Credit
Documents to bring with you to a VITA site:
- Social Security Card or ITIN numbers for you and anyone else on your return
- Copy of last year’s federal & state returns if available
- Valid photo ID
- Documentation for ALL income from work, Social Security or pensions, including forms W-2, 1099’s
- Education expenses & student loan payments
- Total amounts paid for child care. Bring day care providers address and tax ID number
- Bank routing and account number for direct deposit of any refund.
- Copy of mortgage 1098 statement and receipt for paid property taxes.
- Access CT forms, 1095A
- Copy of Health Insurance forms 1095B or C Check out free services of newhavenfinancialempowerment.com